Friday, April 23, 2010

Doodle Art

Yesterday, my DD8 needed some "tomato staking" (aka "time-in" with a parent) -- or "steak and tomatoes," as she calls it;) But instead of just keeping the miserable soul at my side while going about my business, I decided we would break out some new "Blendy Paints" she got for her birthday and spend some chill time together. Wow! What a transformation! She just about went out of her skin at the mere mention of the idea! So, my girl (who generally can't sit still for more than five minutes at a time) and I sat for a good hour colouring pictures that reminded me of the "Doodle Art" I remember from my own childhood -- except these had secret designs that were revealed when the colour was applied. Her attention span exceeded mine this time; every time I finished one and suggested I might try something else, she'd say, "Oh, aren't you going to do another one?"

Here is one of hers:


And one of mine:



Clearly, a little creativity goes a long way! My happy girl is back!

Afterwards she said, "Mom, you know what? I needed this time with just me and you -- you know, girl time! Thank you for doing Blendy Paints with me!"

If only we always had such affirmation of our parenting decisions ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, we parents could use more affirmations of our choices and ideas. It's a tough job, and I always felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants. My sons are grown now, and I Still feel that way sometimes! Take heart - you're doing fine. I know that because of what your daughter said! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, Nancy :)

    BTW -- I stopped by your blog, and I love that you refer to your sons' wives as your daughters. That says a lot about YOU as a mom :) AND -- I think your art work is great!

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...