Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fibonacci Art

I mentioned that we've been listening to Jonathan Park CDs -- and we've been learning lots. One of the things that I don't remember ever learning about before was Fibonacci numbers. As Wikipedia explains, "By definition, the first two Fibonacci numbers are 0 and 1, and each remaining number is the sum of the previous two. Some sources omit the initial 0, instead beginning the sequence with two 1s." So, the sequence of numbers begins 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 . . . .

The cool thing is that this sequence of numbers creates design patterns, including what is referred to as "The Golden Spiral" and "The Golden Rectangle." I find myself fascinated by this, though I would not describe myself as mathematically inclined! LOL! What I find most amazing is how these patterns are reflected in nature -- from the  number of seeds in a sunflower, to the shape of a ram's horn, to the swirl of a storm cloud, to the design of a shell -- the list is long and lovely. To me this speaks volumes of a Divine Creator, a Master Artist. Such designs are not random; they are carefully crafted. I just think that's so awesome!

So, yesterday I tried my hand at conveying some of the beauty in this sequence of numbers. My work is simple and just barely scratches the surface of the study one could do of Fibonacci numbers. (A simple google search will reveal just how much there is to learn!) My hope is that you will be inspired to explore this amazing feature of creation yourself, and see the handiwork of a loving Creator.

Using boxes the sizes of the number sequence (ex. 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 . . .), I created a "Golden Rectangle" (13x21). I coloured in each box with water colour pencils, and then applied water and a Sharpie border. Then I used a Sharpie to create the "Golden Spiral" within the rectangle. I wanted to emphasize the numbers associated with the boxes (hence all the numbers). It all looked a little too plain for me (still does!), so I added some images of examples of the "Golden Spiral" in nature. DS11 would especially appreciate the fiddlehead (not!).



One of the websites I visited pointed to some of the flowers that reflect the Fibonacci sequence. I thought that was really neat, so I created another "Golden Rectangle" with the images of flowers whose number of petals fit into the sequence.

I'm just amazed at the lack of randomness these little bits of creation exhibit! Is there anything that you've learned or discovered that just says, "There IS a God!" to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...