Thursday, April 22, 2010

I sing for joy

A couple of weeks ago, our pastor read a passage of scripture during the service and  one verse has stuck with me since: "I sing under the shadow of your wings" (Psalm 63:7 NIV). When I looked it up, I discovered that I liked the NLT version even better: "I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings." I knew as soon as I heard the verse that I'd like to visually represent it, so in the spirit of CED, yesterday I tried . . .


I didn't really know how to convey the majesty of the wings of God, so I left that part for last, and it suddenly occurred to me that the shadow of the cross also looks a bit like the shadow of wings. I like that mixed metaphor. However, I don't like the fact that it almost looks like she's on the cross herself -- that was not my intent at all. Also, at the risk of sounding self-deprecating, I need to learn how to draw faces -- and bodies for that matter! LOL

I wasn't quite satisfied with the above attempt, though, so I tried again today:


Of course, the same issues apply, but it was fun to explore the same verse with some variation in images. And it felt really good to just be creative.

Again I wonder -- what are some other ways you and I might respond to scripture in creative ways? Repeatedly, I find myself drawn to visual responses. The CED challenge theme for April is the senses, and it sure has made me aware of how significant vision is to me. I really should challenge myself to try responding with some other sense. I might surprise myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...