Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tickled -- and CED update

First of all, call me silly, but it just tickles me to know that people from all over the world are visiting here. I get notices from my counter every time there's a new visitor (no, it's not annoying yet:), and I'm being introduced to places I've never heard of before -- so it's a kinda cool learning tool for me! (There ya go -- a creative learning opportunity!) And to think that I can share a bit of my world with someone from France or Uruguay -- that's just so awesome. (What would be even more awesome is if some were to leave loving comments -- then I could be like Sally Fields and claim (to myself, not the world), "They like me! They really, really like me!" I tend to think the worst of silence. But this blog is not about my foolish insecurities, so let's get back to talking about creativity, shall we?!?!? ;)

When I signed up for CED, it was never my intent to post daily, or stress over whether or not I'd been creative any given day. But I committed to looking for more creative opportunities, and to documenting them here because, well, that's what this blog is all about :) So, to encourage you and perhaps give you some ideas of how to fulfill that part of you that is created to be creative, I thought I'd just list some of the things that my family and I have been doing to be creative every day. Perhaps, also, the list will help you to see evidence of the creativity that already exists in your life -- every day stuff that will make you say, "Hey, maybe I AM creative!" (Some are repeats of recent previous posts. Check my blog archive if you want to see what you've missed -- I won't take the time to make links to them right now -- but if that's something you appreciate, leave a comment and I'll do it in the future.):
  • I've been working more at reading aloud in a creative way by employing different voices for different characters. Books that have lent themselves well this week have been The Gruffalo and Brian Jaques' Redwall series. Funny -- my children have been asking a lot for those books to be read to them ;)
  • I've been writing. (Book reviews and blog posts:)
  • I've been working on my altered book challenge.
  • I've been trying different ways to study academic topics. One of my friends lent us some Jonathan Park Radio Drama CDs and we've been enjoying learning some creation science that way.
  • My 12 yo dd  has been creating her own anime characters. I have her permission to post some here, so I will do that soon.
  • My 12 yo dd just made falafel -- so this post will not be much longer ;)
  • My sons and 8 yo daughter have spent considerable time creating an assortment of swords and daggers using linking cubes (intended as math manipulatives;); they've also made themselves sheathes with belts.
  • 8 yo dd has been writing love notes to Mom and Dad.
  • 8 yo dd received some ceramic pieces for painting. She painted them and chose to bless a friend with them rather than keep them for herself.
  • My husband has been shopping the grocery fliers, so I have been preparing meals with what we have rather than making lists of what I want. This week we were low on rice, so I "got creative" and supplemented it with barley. Not bad -- though I think we all still prefer straight rice:) Got any creative uses for diced tomatoes? We seem to be well stocked with those:)
  • I used my calligraphy skills (learned in high school) for some invitations rather than printing them on the computer.
  • 11 yo ds has been using his free time playing in imaginary worlds with his knights. The sound effects are the primary evidence of the incredible drama being played out in his head.
  • I've been trying to take pictures from more varied angles, like this one of some of our baby rabbits:


That's all that comes to mind right now. How about you? What creative things have you been up to? (Seriously -- these are not rhetorical questions. I want to hear from you. I love hearing other people's ideas for creative living! If you'd rather email me, try the new address at the top of my blog page :)

7 comments:

  1. My 9yo daughter & I love reading aloud "Skippyjon Jones" by Judy Schachner. It's like a Spanish Dr. Seuss! :D I like how you said that since we're created in God's image, we can be creative everyday too. I never thought of it like that. Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula,
    Love your blog and all your energy. You had a good response on altered books about the diff between an altered book spread & a journal page.
    I use a lot of my altered books for journals too.
    Keep up the good postings on your blog. I've added you to my blog list.
    By the way how did you create your blog counter?
    Take Care, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tisha -- I've never heard of Skippyjon Jones -- I'll have to look into that:) Thanks for stopping by -- and leaving a comment:)I hope you'll stop by again:)

    Deb -- I had to laugh at your comment about energy cuz I often lament my lack thereof! Thank you for your encouraging words :) I notice that your name has a link, so I'm going to head on over to "see" you! But first -- if you just click on my counter where it says "get this widget" you'll see where I got it. It's just a matter of cutting and pasting some code.

    Happy creating, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an amazing list!! love it!! and that picture of the baby bunnies is super adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Leah:) And thanks for inspiring me with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To make creativity a way of life, IS the most creative thing you can do....I'd say you're making it work wonderfully!

    Oh, and the bunnies! I love bunnies...soooo cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...