Friday, July 30, 2010

A Poem

If you're a regular reader, you know that I have taken on the challenge to write poetry more often. While I haven't been posting it, I've actually been writing far more than usual, particularly about my children. So far, most has been too personal to share, but I thought I'd share the one I wrote this morning about DS3 just to prove to you that I have been at it ;) It is yet untitled:

Like a kitten craving attention,
you crawl into Daddy's lap.
You twist and turn,
pressing your head and face
into his neck and chest,
your eyes half-closed
and your lips upturned
in a Cheshire grin.
I half expect you to purr
as you paw at Daddy's face.

He strokes you gently
and you wriggle some more.
You stretch your limbs,
exposing your belly,
and wait 
-- with bridled anticipation --
for fingers to tickle
and release the loving laughter
that builds in your breath.

When Daddy's teasing fingers
finally find their way from your face
to your baby boy belly,
you morph from quiet kitten
into roaring lion,
loud-throated thunder
exploding into howls of happiness --

Feline felicity in the form of a bare-bellied boy.



Are there any images that you have associated with your children lately? Why not try writing a poem about it! It's fun :)

3 comments:

  1. What a descriptive poem of the love between a father and son. That and the picture make me smile - so happy for both father and son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alison :) It doesn't capture the actual moment I was writing about -- but it's the closest I could find in our photo files;)

    Hope you're having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful! What a wonderful thing to have - have you seen the new challenge site Monday's Child? It asks those who are interested to write a children's story or poem in response to a specific image. You can check it out on my blog or click on the image on my sidebar to learn more. Kristin xo

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...