Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Family Devotions

As this school year got under way, my husband and I discussed ways that we could facilitate more opportunities to discuss the Bible in a family context. One of the ideas he came up with (he's so awesome! ;) was to conduct family devotions at the dinner table in a way that challenged us all to be memorizing verses together, as well as discussing their significance. To appeal to our visual learners, and to help us remember the format for the week, he created and laminated this seasonal poster and pinned it to the wall by the table:


And each week he creates and laminates a verse poster with the current week's memory work, and posts it on the wall, too.


Besides making our kitchen walls look more interesting than they did before (an added bonus), isn't this a great way to hide God's word in our hearts and learn together as a family? (I can say that cuz it wasn't my idea ;)

I'll bet some of you have great ideas or traditions for encouraging spiritual growth in your family. Could you share them in a comment? I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And so beautiful too! :) At our house we have a little 'school house' box that holds Bible verse cards. In the past we've taken one out at breakfast and had two people read the verses - they're double sided cards. I write, 'in the past' as we haven't done it lately ... but I will put the schoolhouse on the table for tomorrow. :) It isn't very 'in-depth' but gives a focus for the day or at least for the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Alison :) Growing up, I remember having a little bread loaf shaped holder for bible verses that sounds like your little school box. As for the depth factor -- I figure that God's word does not return to Him void, so every little bit we nibble on will nourish us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I steal your Hunny's idea? I love it! You are blessed with an abundance of creativity in your home... I wonder what kind of creative adults your beautiful children will grow up to be?

    (((hugs)))
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...