Friday, November 26, 2010

Art Every Day Month -- Hope Painting

This was my most ambitious "art" project yet -- not because it's major -- but because it doesn't play to any of my strengths and it's a larger canvas than I usually use.

Nothing against Anne Geddes, but when I saw this picture in the neighbour's "free" pile, I knew that it needed to make its way into our art room to be repurposed . . .



Quite honestly, I didn't expect it to get used quite so soon because, well, we're hoarders when it comes to art supplies, especially things that "could" be used for something else.

I'll say right off the bat that while this image formed in my mind as I travelled downtown last night, I know it was influenced by the work of others. Over the last few months, I've seen a number of tree images that show both the roots and the branches. That concept speaks to me (I'll explain my own use of it below). I have also been very drawn to Leah Piken Kolidas's work , especially her lovely ladies, and I have been tempted to try to imitate one of them. However, I deliberately did not look at anyone else's work before I started this piece; I just came home and started painting and collaging -- and finished at 1:00 a.m.!




This photo shows truer colours, though the flash wrecks the centre of the painting. I wish you could see the sparkles in the snow! (DD8 is not the only one who loves that diamond dust!)

I'm calling this piece "HOPE" and had actually planned to incorporate the word with some repurposed sign letters, but I decided I didn't like the look of them. (I may still stamp the word somewhere.) While I did not intend for this woman to be a tree, the tree is associated with her spirit in the sense that it reaches up to the heavens, but also extends into the earth, rooted and grounded. To personalize it, as my soul (mind, will, and emotions) seeks God, entrusting Him with my heart, I am rooted in His Hope. Sometimes Hope is buried, and even frozen for a time -- but it is there, strong and supportive nonetheless.

I'm not sure if this piece is finished. I wonder if my lady needs some outlining and some more gradations of colour on her dress. And does she need a nose and mouth? (If so, how do I do them?!?!?)

Your feedback is more than welcome!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is wonderful! I love how she's growing and grounded and just everything about this painting. I can tell you this is way better than any Anne Geddes photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can always count on DD8 to be effusive about my art work . . .

    "Mom -- this picture could cost a hundred million dollars -- it's sooooo BEAUTIFUL! It just needs -- you know -- a little mouth and a nose." LOL

    ReplyDelete

Sincere responses . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...